Cops: Armed Man Flees After Sexually Abusing Hudson Valley Woman
Update: Andre Sims was arrested at St. Vincent Hospital in Westchester County and charged with rape, a felony.
Police are hoping you can help them find a man they say is armed and dangerous who allegedly sexually assaulted a woman in the Hudson Valley.
On Monday around 10:20 p.m., City of Newburgh police received a call about a woman running around naked inside of the Foundry, an apartment complex located on Johnes Street.
The woman later told police she was sexually assaulted by a man armed with a handgun. She told police the man fled in a black SUV northbound on Liberty Street towards Broadway.
Officers located a dark-colored Nissan Xterra turning off of Liberty Street onto Broadway.
Police tried to pull the SUV over but the driver fled, police say. The vehicle eventually crashed into a building in the Town of Newburgh at the intersection of Powell Ave and North Street, officials say.
The driver then fled towards I-84. Town of Newburgh, Town of New Windsor and the New York State Police Aviation unit assisted in searching the area for the driver of the vehicle.
A police K-9 unit was also deployed but ultimately lost the track, according to City of Newburgh police.
City of Newburgh detectives identified the suspect and driver of the Xterra as Andre Sims, 35, of the City of Peekskill.
Sims is being sought by police and is considered armed and dangerous, police say.
Anyone with knowledge on his location is urged to contact law enforcement.
- Hudson Valley Child Finds Bags of Drugs in Online Snack Order
- Shocking Number of Working Hudson Valley Struggles Financially
- Hudson Valley Man Admits to Taconic Road Rage Killing
- Cops: Armed Man Flees After Sexually Abusing Hudson Valley Woman
- Woman Wins $1 Million at Hudson Valley Casino
- Mold Closes Hudson Valley School For At Least 6 Weeks
- Mold Found at 3 Hudson Valley Schools