Dutchess County Man Admits to Killing Woman
A Dutchess County man confessed he killed a woman inside her apartment.
On August 17, 2017, police found 49-year-old Jill Meltzer dead inside an apartment at Hudson Harbour Apartments on South Road in the Town of Poughkeepsie.
An adult man, who was also in the apartment, was detained at the scene, police say.
Days later, the Dutchess County Medical Examiner's Office determined the preliminary cause of death as strangulation.
Charles D'Amico of the City of Poughkeepsie was then charged with murder. D'Amico and Meltzer knew each other, according to police.
On Monday in Dutchess County Court, D'Amico pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
According to Hudson Valley Post reporter Todd Bender, D'Amico's attorney tried an attempted suicide defense before pleading to manslaughter.
When police found Meltzer's body D'Amico was in the apartment with self-inflicted knife wounds to his wrists, officials told Hudson Valley Post.
D'Amico faces up to 23 years in prison when sentenced.
Hudson Harbour Apartments are located right off of Route 9. According to their website, the apartment complex is, "a special community that compliments any lifestyle. Wooded acreage includes a tranquil pond and meticulous park-like grounds."
- 3 Children, 2 Adults Dead in Easter Monday Fire in Hudson Valley
- Elderly Hudson Valley Woman Killed in Crash
- Man Who Sexually Abused Kids Moves Near Hudson Valley School
- Dutchess County Man Admits to Killing Woman
- Woman Found Dead in Hudson Valley Creek
- Child Killer Out of Hudson Valley Prison, Moves Near Daycare
- Police: Worker Commits Sex Act at Hudson Valley Retirement Home
- Fire Displaces 6 Hudson Valley Residents From Home
Here are this week's Top 5 news stories from the Hudson Valley