Elderly Man Fatally Hit by Fleeing Car While Checking Mail
Police continue to investigate the death of an 86-year-old who was fatally hit by a fleeing car while checking his mail in the Hudson Valley.
On Monday around 5 p.m., on August 26, 2013, Orange County 911 center received a call for a seriously injured person on the roadway on County Route 1, in Westtown.
Upon arrival, troopers discovered Donald Wester, 86, in serious condition.
According to police, Wester was walking to his mailbox when he was struck by a passing motorist. He was flown to Westchester County Medical Center with head trauma and passed away from his injuries.
The investigation revealed Wester was likely struck by a motorist driving a silver or light-colored mini-van, police say. The vehicle fled the scene.
Almost five years after he was fatally struck, no one has been charged. On Tuesday, New York State Police sent out a press release in hopes someone will come forward with information that helps authorities find the person responsible.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Investigator Joseph Dawson at SP Middletown at (845) 344-5352. All calls will be kept confidential.
- 1 Missing While Swimming in Hudson River, 5 Rescued
- Hudson Valley High School Basketball Standout Killed in Crash
- Exotic Tick Found in Hudson Valley for First Time
- Hudson Valley Camp Counselor Charged With Rape
- Hudson Valley Woman, Former Cop Killed 9 Horses
- Beloved Hudson Valley Pizzeria Owner Killed in 684 Crash
- Likely Rabid Fox on the Loose in Hudson Valley, Many Bit
- 3rd Poughkeepsie Gang Member Charged in Teen's Murder
- Teen Killed in Upper Hudson Valley Crash
- 2 Hudson Valley Officers Jailed For Brutal Inmate Beating