A pet store went up in flames on Thursday night, and 86 puppies survived thanks to a quick-thinking Hudson Valley woman.

The Puppy Love pet store on Lake Avenue in Danbury caught fire on Thursday night. According to Lohud, the two-alarm blaze started just before 9pm in a plaza that is also home to the Bambu restaurant.

Kristen Huttunen fro Brewster happened to be participating in a trivia night at Bambu when a bartender announced that the business next door was on fire. After running out to see what was happening, the bartender broke through the door of the puppy store so customers, including Huttunen, could enter to rescue the puppies.

Mayor Mark Boughton caught some of the response on video and posted it to his Facebook page.

The Brewster woman and other good Samaritans grabbed all 86 puppies that were in the store as firefighters battled the blaze. A second alarm was called after a building behind the pet store continued to spiral out of control.

The puppies were eventually put in crates and brought to safety at a vacant store nearby. Thanks to Huttunen and other quick-thinking pet lovers, the dogs were checked out by veterinarians and will be just fine.