Lost Hiker Rescued Near Mount Beacon
Rangers used cellphone coordinates to locate the hiker who had become lost in Hudson Highlands State Park near Mount Beacon.
On July 6 at noon, Forest Ranger Martin Hanno received a call from DEC Dispatch regarding a lost hiker in Hudson Highlands State Park near Mount Beacon.
The hiker had initially hiked from the Beacon fire tower parking lot but had turned around at a point on the trail and, rather than hiking back down the mountain, continued along the ridge two miles in the wrong direction.
At this point, she called 911 stating she was lost, dehydrated and had used the last of her water. Forest Ranger Hanno instructed the 29-year-old hiker from Poughkeepsie to stay where she was.
Using cellphone coordinates, Forest Rangers Hanno and Patrick Lee hiked in from an access road and found the hiker by 2 p.m. She was returned to her vehicle and declined medical treatment
Listen to Afternoons With Taylor weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your Now 97.7 app. Connect with Now 97.7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Where in the Hudson Valley Should 'A Quiet Place 2' Be Filmed?
- What Is A 'Garbage Plate' And Why Doesn't The Hudson Valley Have Them?
- Hudson Valley Schools Dominate As Best in New York
- The 10 Dumbest Laws in NY
- Ulster County Chocolatier Makes The World's Best Chocolate