NYSCOPBA: 6 Hudson Valley Officers Injured When 40 Inmates Attack
Six Hudson Valley officers were injured when a group of 40 inmates attacked them.
On May 8 around 7:50 p.m., a group of 40 inmates at the Green Haven Correctional Facility in Beekman began to throw rocks at officers in the recreation yard after an inmate attacked an officer who refused to let him use one of the yard phones, the New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association announced on Wednesday.
According to the New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association, one inmate became belligerent with an officer when he refused to let him use the yard phone because he didn’t have his inmate identification on him. The inmate attacked and punched the officer in the face, head and upper body. Additional officers arrived at the scene and attempted to get the inmate under control. The inmate continued to struggle, kick and punch at the officers.
During the struggle, approximately 40 inmates surrounded the officers. An officer at his rooftop post fired gas into the crowd, but it had no effect, officials say. Several inmates in the group began to punch, kick and throw water bottles and rocks at the officers.
A second gas projectile was fired into the crowd, which initially pushed the crowd back. The inmates regrouped and came back at the officers, flipping picnic tables to form a barricade, according to the New York State Correctional Officers & Police Benevolent Association
The rooftop officer fired a third gas projectile. The gas pushed inmates back and they ran towards the yard door. The officer assigned to the door attempted to secure it before the inmates could enter the cell block but they were able to push their way through. After briefly running through the cell block, the inmates complied with officers orders and put their hands on the block wall. They were then returned to their cells.
All inmates face disciplinary charges.
Six officers sustained injuries. One officer was taken for outside medical treatment for bruising, abrasions and swelling. The remaining officers remained on duty with minor injuries, officials say.
- Hudson Valley McDonald's Responds to Alleged Expensive Scam
- Multiple Bears Spotted in Hudson Valley Backyard
- Hudson Valley Teacher Accused of Stealing Money From Charity
- NYSCOPBA: 6 Hudson Valley Officers Injured When 40 Inmates Attack
- Hudson Valley Motorcyclist Dies After Hitting NY Corrections Van
- 16 Reasons Why Newburgh Isn't the Worst City in New York State
- Beloved Puppy Dies After Going to Lower Hudson Valley PetSmart
- Hudson Valley Man Dies in Lawnmower Crash, Brother Very Hurt
- Large Reward Offered After Video of Cat Murder Circulates
- Hudson Valley Rallies Behind Mother of 7 Killed in Crash
- Woman Shot Near Hudson Valley Church