Tips For Labor Day Weekend Travel In The Hudson Valley
Labor Day Weekend 2019 is from Friday, August 30 through Monday, September 2.
It's a long holiday weekend and that means one thing: traffic. If you're heading out on the road, bless your soul. I totally get it though, it's the last weekend before school starts and the last "summer weekend". So before you start your journey, consider these tips:
1. Go to the bathroom before you leave
"Yes, mom." Okay but really, nothing is worse than having to stop in the middle of a drive for a bathroom break that could've been avoided. Just do it.
2. Get on the road super early or super late
If you head out in the wee hours of the morning or the thick of night, you're less likely to encounter serious traffic. The only downfall is either waking up super early or driving in the pitch black. Pick your poison.
3. Try to use alternative routes
We all know the Hudson Valley bridges will be packed. I-84 will probably be a nightmare and the Thruway is slammed no matter what day it is. If you can take an alternative route to these major roads, it could be worth a shot. Is it worse to add 5 miles to the trip by taking a back road or 45 minutes of extra time due to traffic?
4. When merging, remember the zipper method
I feel like such a hypocrite writing this because I definitely do not follow the zipper method. But if everyone takes their turn merging into one lane, it's bound to be less traffic.
5. Do NOT drive up the shoulder when sitting in traffic
Not only are you a jerk if you do this, but you're also putting others in danger. The shoulder is meant for emergency pull-offs, not shaving a few minutes off your drive time.
6. Drive safely
This seems obvious, but if we all drive safely there's a good chance there won't be any accidents. Accidents cause traffic and traffic causes frustration. Take the extra second to check your blind spot, put the phone down, have a general idea of directions before you go.
Happy Labor Day Weekend!
Listen to Afternoons With Taylor weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your Now 97.7 app. Connect with Now 97.7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Where in the Hudson Valley Should 'A Quiet Place 2' Be Filmed?
- What Is A 'Garbage Plate' And Why Doesn't The Hudson Valley Have Them?
- Hudson Valley Schools Dominate As Best in New York
- The 10 Dumbest Laws in NY
- Ulster County Chocolatier Makes The World's Best Chocolate