Walk A Mile In Her Shoes With Now 97.7
Now 97.7 is proud to partner with Family Services again for the 9th annual Walk A Mile In Her Shoes event.
Now 97.7 and Family Services are inviting everyone to Walk A Mile In Her Shoes. We've teamed up with Family Services for another great year for another great community event. The Walk A Mile event will be part of Poughkeepsie's First Friday Celebration this year on Friday, October 4, 2019, from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Walk A Mile is to stand up against sexual assault, gender violence, and domestic violence. Originally, the event challenged men to walk a mile in a mile in high heels. But Now 97.7 and Family Services know that we must all address this violence in solidarity. It is a family-friendly event and everyone is welcome.
Family Services encourages anyone to walk in any kind of shoes they feel represents whom they walk for, whether it's high heels, high tops, boots, loafers, flip flops, or flats. After the walk, stick around to participate in all of the First Friday activities.
The Walk A Mile event has done a great job of spreading awareness and helping survivors and victims. Rape and sexual assault rates have fallen 63% in the past 25 years. However, there is still a lot of work to be done:
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18
- 1 in 6 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime
- 1 in 2 transgender individuals are sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
- Every 9 seconds in the US, a women is beaten or assaulted
- 3 women per day are murdered by a spouse or former spouse
- 80% of all sexual assaults are perpetrated by a friend or an acquaintance
- While most men are not violent, over 90% of sexual violence perpetrators are male
Join Now 97.7 and Family Services to Walk A Mile In Her Shoes on Friday, October 4, part of the First Friday Celebration in Poughkeepsie, from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Listen to Afternoons With Taylor weekdays from 2PM to 7PM through your Now 97.7 app. Connect with Now 97.7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Where in the Hudson Valley Should 'A Quiet Place 2' Be Filmed?
- What Is A 'Garbage Plate' And Why Doesn't The Hudson Valley Have Them?
- Hudson Valley Schools Dominate As Best in New York
- The 10 Dumbest Laws in NY
- Ulster County Chocolatier Makes The World's Best Chocolate